This is a longer Curriculum, including things that are only relevant in an Academic context.
Netherlands eScience Center | Sep/2021 - Current
Senior Research Software Engineer
- Helped maintain, developed and consulted on research software, focusing on best practices, such as licensing, testing, automated documentation, testing, CI, and other workflows.
- Worked on and maintained cffinit, a web application for creating CITATION.cff files. I learned Typescript, Vue and Quasar for this project.
- Co-organized and talked at a Julia for High-Performance Computing webinar with external speakers and over 50 attendants.
Federal University of Paraná | Nov/2014 - Aug/2021
Professor Adjunto (equivalent to Assistant Professor)
- Taught around 5 courses a year.
- Advised over 15 students.
- 10 talks, 5 at international conferences.
- Industrial Mathematics curriculum planning committee.
Data Science specialization program
- Taught optimization and machine learning.
- Advised students in various topics.
Researcher in optimization
- Co-creator of several packages related to nonlinear optimization and numerical linear algebra inside the JuliaSmoothOptimizers organization.
- Advised students in nonlinear optimization, operations research, and machine learning.
- Co-creator of the CiDAMO study and research group.
- 3 published papers.
- Referee in various journals.
Education and courses
Machine Learning A-Z, 2019
State University of Campinas
PhD in Applied Mathematics, 2009-2013
- Title: Dynamic Control of Infeasibility for Nonlinear Programming
- Advisor: Francisco de Assis Magalhães Gomes Neto
Bachelor’s degree in Computational and Applied Mathematics, 2005-2008
- Scientific initiation project on quadratic optimization. Wrote a C++ code.
- 8 years experience with the Julia language for research software.
- My PhD and scientific initiation projects were in C++, accruing 5 years of experience.
- I have supervised students on machine learning topics, using Python’s scikit-learn stack.
- I have consulted and supervised on optimization modeling topics, include Julia’s JuMP modeling language.
- I manage several GitHub repositories, setting continuous integration for automated testing, building documentation, code coverage, and various other workflows. I have used GitHub Actions, Travis, Codecov, and Coveralls.
- I have experience building a Single Page Application in Typescript, Vue 3 and Quasar.
Social and community
- I am a native Portuguese speaker and a fluent English speaker.
- I have basic knowledge of Spanish and French, and I know a few words of Dutch and Russian.
- I have solid written and verbal skills.
- I am organized, proactive, and I am a team worker.
- I can produce documentation in various formats, such as written tutorials and APIA reference documents, as well as videos and live coding on specific topics.
- I managed a team translating the Think Julia book.
Open science and research software
- I taught Shell, Git, LaTeX, and Julia in many workshops.
- I helped organize 2 workshops related to Software Carpentry, 1 related to Hacktoberfest, and other local tutorial sessions.
- I taught at the 2017 CODATA-RDA School of Research Data Science.
- I have reviewed for the Journal of Open Source Software and the Journal of Open Research Software.
cffinit - Citation File Format initializer
- Web application to generate valid CITATION.cff files.
- I joined the project during the implementation of v2.
- Uses Typescript, Vue 3, and Quasar, which I learned on the job.
- Study and research group on data science, machine learning, and optimization.
- Co-creator of the group and supervisor of several students.
- Organized a week-long data science event with over 300 participants and 8 companies, named CiDWeek.
- GitHub organization with over 60 packages related to Linear Algebra and Nonlinear Optimization in Julia.
- Co-creator of around 20 of those packages. My contributions span over 700 commits and tens of thousands of lines of code.
- My involvement included software programming, reviewing, planning, theoretical research, advising, and publicizing the work through papers, talks, posts, and videos.
- Bash script to install various versions of Julia on Linux and MacOS
Intro a Julia BR (Think Julia book translation)
- Open source translation of Think Julia
- I managed the translation team and reviewed each chapter
- Python package for producing performance profiles.
- One paper was published with occasional citations.
- C++ implementation of a Trust Cylinder method for equality-constrained optimization
- Main part of the code produced in my doctorate
Colombia Data Summit 2023. November 10th, 2023, Colombia/Online. Title: Optimization vs AI and the Julia Programming Language.
Julia Optimization Days Paris 2023. October 6th, 2023, Paris. Title: Julia Smooth Optimizers: JSO-compliant solvers, news, and current challenges.
JuliaLang Eindhoven Meetup. January 19th, 2023, Eindhoven. Title: Maintaining large ecosystems of packages. Tips and challenges.
Julia for High-Performance Computing Webinar June 23rd, 2022, Online. Organization.
II CiDWeek - Semana de Ciência de dados. 24 a 30 de Abril de 2021, Online, Brazil. Organização
I CiDWeek - Semana de Ciência de dados. 3 a 7 de Fevereiro de 2020, Curitiba/PR, Brazil. Organização
Congresso Internacional de Biomassa - 4° Expo Biomassa 26 de Junho de 2019, Curitiba/PR, Brazil. Título: Otimização na Linguagem Julia
Talk at PPGM - UFPR May 31st, 2019, Curitiba/PR, Brazil. Title: JuliaSmoothOptimizers
Invited talk at Université de Sherbrooke February 15th, 2019, Sherbrooke/QC, Canada. Title: Developing optimization software with JuliaSmoothOptimizers
Modeling and optimization tools in Julia - An introduction to JuMP and JSO. February 7th, 2019, Montreal, Canada. Title: JuliaSmoothOptimizers
XII Brazilian Workshop on Continuous Optimization. July 23rd, 2018, Foz do Iguaçu/PR, Brasil. Title: A Regularized Interior-Point Method for Constrained Nonlinear Least Squares
Second Annual JuMP-dev Workshop June 28th, 2018, Université de Bordeaux, Bordeaux, France. Title: Developing new optimization methods with packages from the JuliaSmoothOptimzers organization
CODATA-RDA School of Research Data Science. December 4th, 2017, ICPT-SAIFR/NCC-UNESP, São Paulo/SP, Brasil. Tutorial: The Unix Shell
Seminars on Convex Analysis and Optimization. December 1st, 2017, UFSC, Florianópolis/SC, Brazil. Title: Otimização Não-Linear na Linguagem Julia
15th EUROPT Workshop on Advances in Continuous Optimization. July 12th, 2017, Montréal, Canada. Title: Parameter Optimization in the Nonlinear Stepsize Control Framework for Trust-Region Methods
IX Simpósio de Análise Numérica e Otimização. February 20th to 22nd, 2017, UFPR, Curitiba, Brazil. Tutorial: Introdução à linguagem Julia
I Simpósio de Métodos Numéricos em Engenharia. November 30th to December 1st, 2016, UFPR, Curitiba, Brazil. Tutorial: Introdução à linguagem Julia
XI Brazilian Workshop on Continuous Optimization. May 23rd, 2016, UFAM, Manaus, Brazil. Title: Numerical Experience with a Class of Trust-Region Algorithms for Unconstrained Smooth Optimization
2016 Optimization Days. May 4th, 2016, HEC Montréal, Montreal, Canada. Title: A Workflow for Designing Optimization Methods in the Julia Language
VIII Simpósio de Análise Numérica e Otimização. 2016, UFPR, Curitiba, PR, Brazil. Tutorial: Otimização Não-Linear na Linguagem Julia
Oficina de Ferramentas Computacionais. Maio de 2015, UFPR, Curitiba, PR, Brazil. Member of the organization
VII Simpósio de Análise Numérica e Otimização. 2015, UFPR, Curitiba, PR, Brazil. Title: Ferramentas computacionais para pesquisadores
X Brazilian Workshop on Continuous Optimization. 2014, Florianópolis, SC, Brazil. Title: Dynamic Control of Infeasibility for Nonlinear Programming
26th European Conference on Operational Research. 2013, Rome, Italy. Title: Dynamic Control of Infeasibility for Nonlinear Programming
11th EUROPT Workshop on Advances in Continuous Optimization. 2013, Florence, Italy. Participation
Diego A. Tejada-Arango, Germán Morales-España, Lauren Clisby, Ni Wang, Abel S. Siqueira, Ali Subayu, Laurent Soucasse, and Zhi Gao, (2023). Tulipa Energy Model: Mathematical Formulation. arXiv, 10.48550/arXiv.2309.07711.
Tangi Migot, Dominique Orban, and Abel Soares Siqueira, (2022). PDENLPModels.jl: An NLPModel API for Optimization Problems with PDE-Constraints. Journal of Open Source Software, 7(80). 4736. 10.21105/joss.04736.
Tangi Migot, Dominique Orban, and Abel Soares Siqueira, (2022). DCISolver.jl: A Julia Solver for Nonlinear Optimization using Dynamic Control of Infeasibility. Journal of Open Source Software, 7(70). 3991. 10.21105/joss.03991.
Amanda Pereira Santos, Henrique Soares Koehler, Carlos Roberto Sanquetta, Sylvio Péllico Netto, Abel Soares Siqueira, and Alexandre Behling, (2022). Calibração de Equações de Volume em Nível de Povoamento e Parcela para Acácia Negra. BIOFIX Scientific Journal, 7(2). 104. 10.5380/biofix.v7i2.83574.
Dominique Orban, and Abel Soares Siqueira, (2020). A regularization method for constrained nonlinear least squares. Computational Optimization and Applications, 10.1007/s10589-020-00201-2.
Hugo José Lara, Abel Soares Siqueira, and Jinyun Yuan, (2018). A Reduced Semidefinite Programming Formulation for HA Assignment Problems in Sport Scheduling. TEMA (São Carlos), 19(3). 471-488. 10.5540/tema.2018.019.03.471.
Hugo Lara Urdaneta, Jinyun Yuan, and Abel Soares Siqueira, (2018). Alternative Integer linear and Quadratic Programming Formulations for HA-Assignment Problems. In XXXVII CNMAC, S. J. dos Campos/SP, Brasil. 10.5540/03.2018.006.01.0311.
Abel S. Siqueira, and Francisco de Assis Magalhães Gomes, (2016). Dynamic Control of Infeasibility for Nonlinear Programming. Technical Report rp11-16 Campinas/SP, Brazil, Universidade Estadual de Campinas. link.
Abel S. Siqueira, Raniere G. C. da Silva, and Luiz-Rafael Santos, (2016). Perprof-py: A Python Package for Performance Profile of Mathematical Optimization Software. Journal of Open Research Software, 4(1). e12. 10.5334/jors.81.
W. L. da Silva, R. R. V. Goncalves, A. S. Siqueira, J. Zullo, and F. A. M. Gomes Neto, (2011). Feature extraction for NDVI AVHRR/NOAA time series classification. In 2011 6th International Workshop on the Analysis of Multi-temporal Remote Sensing Images (Multi-Temp), Trento. 10.1109/multi-temp.2011.6005091.
Rogério Otavio Mainardes da Silva, March/2021. Método do Gradiente Estocástico para otimização de funções separáveis em Aprendizagem de Máquina. Program Conclusion Project. Universidade Federal do Paraná.
Egmara Antunes dos Santos, August/2020. Aspectos Teóricos e Computacionais de um Método de Lagrangiano Aumentado com Subproblemas de Caixa Resolvidos por Região de Confiança. Master’s. Universidade Federal do Paraná.
Thaiza Rafaele dos Santos Rievrs, Dec/2018. Problema de Estoque e Roteirização com Transbordo. Program Conclusion Project. Universidade Federal do Paraná.
Francine Luise Milian Ribas, Jul/2017. Métodos de Região de Confiança para Minimização Irrestrita. Program Conclusion Project. Universidade Federal do Paraná.
Oksana Heringer da Silva, Jul/2017. Métodos de Penalidade e o Lagrangiano Aumentado. Program Conclusion Project. Universidade Federal do Paraná.
Adrean Cebola, Jun/2017. Resolução de Programas Lineares com Método de Pontos Interiores. Program Conclusion Project. Universidade Federal do Paraná.
Carlos Henrique Venturi Ronchi, May/2017. Estudo Matemático de Reconhecimento de Caracteres. Program Conclusion Project. Universidade Federal do Paraná.